The Vampire Diaries recap: Be Still My Heart
Its hard to believe next week is the season finale, and Elena will finally choose between the Salvatore Brothers. Okay, it isnt. From Klaus chats with Stefan and Elena, to Elenas chat with Stefan and Damon, to Stefan and Damons chat with each other this episode was screaming ITS COMING! But lets back up
Has Alarics classroom decor always been war themed, or was it just now because he was teaching about the Civil War when he died and became a Super Vamp? I guess he was being oh so quiet in there because Caroline and Rebekah, who were at the high school to clean up after the Roaring 20s Decade Dance, didnt realize they werent alone in the building. Matt had been called into work, and Tyler had been called in as a mover for Klaus, who was packing up his mansion. (Rebekahs hearing wasnt strong enough to pick up Tylers call to Caroline either?) Its funny: I think Caroline and Rebekah could have been friends in a different life. It was nice that they got one real moment Caroline saying she was sorry about Esther, and Rebekah saying she was sorry about Alaric before it all went to hell.
Alaric surprised Rebekah in the hallway and slammed her into a locker. He was ready to stake her, but Caroline stopped him and they staked him. He just pulled out the stake out because its bound to his resurrection ring. Caroline made a slower getaway than Rebekah, and Alaric caught her as she was fumbling with her keys to open her car door. Part of me was like, BREAK THE WINDOW, VAMPIRE! PULL OFF THE DOOR! But I suppose shed still have to fumble with them to star the car. Lets it: If I lived in Mystic Falls, I would totally have a car with one of those start buttons. Seriously, that would be good product placement for this show. Get on that. Alaric snapped Carolines neck and started dragging her back into the school as his body began to blister and smoke. So Esther had thought of everything but a day ring.
Over at the Gilbert house, Elena and Jeremy were painting Alarics room to keep busy. Stefan showed up to check on them and offered to help. Take him up on that. Hed get it done in two minutes. But Jeremy was pissy and said if Stefan was trying to be the good guy again, couldnt he do the right thing and give them one day with no vampires? Youre lucky youre wearing that cute Henley, Jeremy, or Id want to slap you. And also, wed seen the promo shots, so we knew your day was going to get much worse. Damon arrived with Bonnie and told Stefan about her feeding Alaric her blood to turn him. Bonnie explained that the witches made her do it. If Damon was so upset with her, whyd he feed her his blood to save her? Because he does stupid things, he said, like letting his friend Alaric die with dignity instead of killing him himself. Bonnie said witches cant make a true immortal creature, so theres a way to undo the spell on Alaric. She just didnt know what it was yet.
Rebekah had seen Alaric frying in the sun and told Klaus that Alaric was so quick, their only hope was getting a head start before sunset. Rebekah wanted to leave immediately. Klaus wanted to get Elena first. Rebekah said he didnt need to make more hybrids, they could protect each other, always and forever. Nope. Fine. Trust your hybrids over your family. Let your spite be the death of you. See if I care, she said and stormed out. (Since we do see her in the promo for the season finale, I suspect she does care.)
NEXT: Missed me!
Alaric called Elena and told her to come to the school. If she told anyone where she was headed, hed kill Caroline. He had her seated with a wooden pencil stuck in each hand to keep her tethered to the desk. She also had what we would later find out was a vervain-soaked gag in her month, which made it feel like she was swallowing razors with every breath. That explained why she was sweating, which I thought was a nice touch. The gag was ultimately more painful to look at than the hands. Brutal.
Back at the Gilbert house, Jeremy answered the door, and it was Klaus, who came to collect Elena. The Brothers didnt know she was already walking down the high school hallway, making us admire her curves. But obviously, they shut the door in Klaus face. He wasnt going away that easily. Immediately, I thought he should threaten to torch the place, and actually do it, so everyone would come running out. But sets are precious in Mystic Falls (see: the one restaurant), and if Elena and Jeremy lost their home yet? Instead, he threw a newspaper through the window. Elijah did more damage with coins, okay. Not impressed. Klaus grew more testy and went and grabbed posts from a neighbors picket fence and a ball that magically grew to twice its size when it was thrown into the house. Incoming! This was a fairly ridiculous fight, Klaus throwing in giant fence stakes and Damon ducking and yelling Missed me! But it was fun.
Stefan got a call from Alaric as Klaus FINALLY was about to resort to fire. Stefan told Klaus about Alaric having Elena and Caroline and threatening to kill them both unless Klaus turned himself over. Damon came out onto the porch, carrying a giant fence stake again hilarious. The three of them stood on the porch, trying to figure out a plan to take Klaus down while Damon and Klaus took verbal jabs at each other. That was a cute scene, kinda like the players gathering on the mound in Bull Durham to deal with a lot of s. (Okay, lets get two. ) Bonnie had an idea if she could get it, she could use the same desiccation spell that Abby had used to immobilize Mikael for more than 15 years on Alaric. And shes only thinking of that as an option against a (pseudo) Original now? Klaus said hed help them until sundown. If they hadnt succeeded by then, Elena would be dead, hed be off, and they could fend for themselves.
Not wanting to invite Abby into Elenas home, Damon and Bonnie waited for Abby at Salvatore Mansion. Bonus: We got the answer to the much asked question about how vamps can enter that home at will if Elenas name is still on the deed. Damon told Bonnie that Abby could enter because the human seal was broken when Elena died. They couldnt type up another document? Sign it over to Jeremy? A bigger question: Have we ever heard that doorbell ring before? Dont get your hopes up, it might be a Girl Scout, Damon cracked. It was Abby. She said she could tell Bonnie how to stop a vampire heart, which would make the blood stop running and the body desiccate, but she didnt think Bonnie could handle the dark places shed have to go to do it. To stop the vampire heart, shed need to find a balance among the living. For those who dont speak witch (thanks for asking, Damon), that means she has to stop a human heart. Hello, Jeremy!
Meanwhile, Klaus and Stefan had already arrived at the school, and Klaus said if their plan isnt an epic failure and they manage to take Alaric down and drop him in the Atlantic, hes still leaving town with Elena. Stefan said hed go with them to make sure Elena stayed safe. Klaus said thats why hes Team Stelena (not really, can you imagine if hed actually used Stelena?!). Trying to get Stefan to hate Damon has actually had the opposite effect, Stefan said. So Klaus said hed let Elena decide who goes with them and see how the brothers feel after that. When Damon and Bonnie arrived, Bonnie was showing Damon how she, Caroline, and Bonnie could map each others whereabouts through their phones. Thats how she could tell they were in Alarics classroom (even though theres no way the tiny image on the screen could have been that specific). Is that digital locator a real thing? I never feel older than when I cant tell whether some bit of cell phone technology is fake on a TV show. P.S. I loved that the 60s Decade Dance love bus was still parked in the parking lot.
Jeremy, of course, insisted that he be the human heart Bonnie stop. Damon tried to talk him out of it, because what if Bonnie wasnt able to restart his heart, he died, and coming back to life one more time fractures his psyche? But then, who else were they going to use? It wasnt like they had Matt standing there. Bonnie made Damon, Stefan, and Klaus drink her blood from a vial so theyd be connected to her and could use her power to stop Alarics heart when she stopped Jeremys. One of them would have to make a physical connection to a vein or artery on Alaric. Before Klaus drank, he said he was the one who created their bloodline, so they should protect him if Alaric comes at him. Damon said he could be lying to save his ass, but Klaus insisted he was telling the truth. What do you think?
NEXT: Im not your little bitch anymore
Inside the school, Alaric was continuing to torture Caroline with the vervain gag. He said it was so itd be easier for Elena to kill Caroline and put her out of her misery. Elena had wanted him to train her to slay vampires nows her chance. Her parents, who were on the Council, werent dead six months before shed undid all their work, he said. Does she think theyd be proud of her? If she doesnt side with humans, shed be just as bad as the vampires, Alaric said. And if she didnt kill Caroline, hed do it for her and hed make it hurt. Elena pretended she was trying to stake Alaric, but it was only a distraction so she could grab the glass of vervain and smash it into his face. As he writhed in pain, Elena freed Caroline and told her to get help. Alaric stopped Elena from leaving, but Caroline sped off and ran into Klaus, who told her she was safe. He said theyd save Elena, and she was to go straight home and stay inside. Maybe its because he was whispering, but that was totally hot. Thank you, Caroline said, and off she went.
Alaric had taken to slamming Elena against the wall and saying he should gut her like all the other cowards he had and would rip apart. Elena said it was clear he had no humanity left in him, so why hadnt he done it? She told him to kill her. Instead, he left her go, and thats when Damon and Stefan swooped in. Alaric broke both their necks, but Klaus made contact by driving his fingertips into Alarics chest. Bonnie started chanting over Jeremy and it was working because there was wind. But then Alaric kicked Klaus ass. Alaric was about to stake him when Elena told him to stop or shed kill herself. Shed guessed that Esther had tied Alarics life to hers so when Elena dies, Alaric dies. That way, he has only one lifetime to kill the Originals and he wont be the one vampire that gets to go on living forever. Alaric called her bluff, and she started to slit her own throat. Bad.Ass. Alaric was distracted enough for Klaus to run.
Now, heres what I dont get: How did Klaus get Elena back to his mansion? Alaric wasnt knocked out or anything. Regardless, Klaus had her there, draining all her blood. It means he couldnt make an endless number of hybrids, but it also means Alaric would die, too. Tyler took a break from his packing duties when he noticed Elena in trouble, and though he started to go to her when she asked for help, he stopped when Klaus told him not to and to instead get him more blood bags. Tyler tried once more to get to her, then left I assume to call Damon (or Caroline, so she could call Damon). When Damons phone rang, he came to on the hallway floor and wondered why he was still alive. Thatd be because Alaric knew that Klaus was now going to kill Elena, and since he was trapped in the school for a few more hours, he needed the Salvatore Brothers to do what they do best save Elenas life.
We had some time to kill until the Salvatores arrived, so Klaus and Elena had a chat. Klaus borrowed a line from Stefan and insisted that by trying to kill he and his siblings, their mother had strengthened their bond. Elena knew thats bull, or he wouldnt be taking her blood to build his backup family. Klaus told Elena shed simply fall asleep and die painlessly, and that she should be grateful if she dies, shell never have to choose between the Salvatore Brothers, break a heart, and ruin their relationship for good. Just between us girls (ha!), Klaus wanted to know who she would have chosen. I love that he cared. She told him to go to hell. You dont get the answer to that question until the finale, Mister!
Klaus left the room, and Tyler snuck back in and started to free Elena. Im not your little bitch anymore, he said, when Klaus noted the loss of the sire bond. He wanted to know how Tyler broke it. By breaking every bone in his body times for the girl he loves, Tyler said. (Subtext: Take that sketch of Caroline and the horse and shove it!) In the resulting fisticuffs, Klaus accidentally knocked Elena down and she hit her head. We got a REMEMBER THIS CLOSEUP, so we knew itd come back into play. Klaus was going to kill Tyler, but Tyler snapped his wrist. Damon and Stefan were there to do to him what theyd planned to do to Alaric. Bonnie started chanting, Jeremys heart stopped, and something clearly shot through Bonnies body I assume dark magic that may, actually, give her a story line! Think shell go all post-Tara Willow on us?
NEXT: The brothers make a deal
I didnt shed tears over Klaus death (hes not Finn dead), but that doesnt mean I wasnt captivated by how it was filmed or Joseph Morgans acting. You could hear Klaus heartbeat slowing. How poetic that it was Stefan, the person he most wanted to be his friend, doing him in. And then it was Tyler, the one person he thought he could trust, holding him in place, stabbing him in the back. Klaus scared, hopeless, tear-filled eyes looking around one of my favorite Joseph Morgan moments. Hes at his best when Klaus is fragile. For a man who didnt want to be alone to be surrounded by people who all wanted him put down it mustve been the loneliest feeling in the world. But oh yeah, we had to get Jeremy back. For a second, it seemed Bonnie had let herself enjoy the dark rush for too long and Jeremy was gone. But she beat on him until his heart started.
The Salvatores wanted to get Elena home before sunset, so Alaric couldnt come in and hurt her. She said he wouldnt try to hurt her since their fates are connected now. She lost a lot of blood. Elena insisted she was fine, she just had a headache. A HEADACHE, did you catch it? At the very least, they should have called Meredith to come and examine her. Though then, Meredith would have put an end to the victory party Caroline had organized at Elenas house with pizza and tequila shots. I think its hilarious that Elena doesnt want Jeremy to drink but its okay if she does. They all toasted to a Klaus-free life and to each other, Elenas family. Okay, drink the damn shot, Jeremy. Your heart did stop today.
Before Elena had gone inside for the party, she talked to Damon and Stefan on the porch. Shed told them she knows its selfish, stringing them both along. She doesnt know what shes supposed to do: If she chooses one of them, she loses the other, and shes lost so many people she cant bear the thought of losing one of them. Damon nodded to Stefan to say something. Its been a long day, he said. They told her theyd call her from the road, after they dump Klaus body in the Atlantic.
When we caught up to them on the road, Damon was overtly happy: Klaus is dead (for now), Stefan is halfway sane again, and give or take Alaric, they won. He wanted Stefan to say it. We won! Once more, with feeling. WE WON! Stefan said they make a good team after all. But what happens when Elena makes a decision? Damon suggested shell make a list of pros and cons and dump both their asses. Im hoping since Damon joked about it, THAT WONT HAPPEN. If she does pick one of them, and its not him, Stefan said hed leave town so Elena and Damon could be happy. Then in 60 years or so, they can go back to being brothers, Damon said. He agreed that he would leave, too.
All this over one girl, Damon said.
Shes a pretty special girl, Stefan answered.
Yes, she is, Damon said, smiling.
WHO WILL SHE PICK? And will the other brother leave, or will some new twist/danger force them both to stay in town to protect Elena?
Back at the Gilbert house, Elena told Jeremy shed be the bad guy who wants vampires to live if it means she, Tylers mother, and Carolines mother not lose anyone they love. Jeremys done judging her: Hell do whatever it takes to keep her safe, and he doesnt like knowing that when Alaric decides to end his life, hell try to kill her to do it. Jeremy left the room, and Elena collapsed and was bleeding from her nose. Good thing shes the star of the series, or wed really be nervous.
As for Alaric, he called a Council meeting and outed Sheriff Forbes and Mayor Lockwood for having vampire and hybrid children. The Council was appalled. Especially when they saw his speed, and no doubt pieced together that hes a vampire now, too. What do you think his next move is? Kill the sheriff and mayor right then and there? Take them hostage to lure in Caroline and Tyler? Or tell the Council members, who can move around during the day and go into homes uninvited, that unless they help him kill Caroline and Tyler, hell kill them? Do you think Klaus will be rescued by Rebekah? Who doesnt make it out of the season 3 finale alive? Go!
The Vampire Diaries
Ian Somerhalder, Nina Dobrev, and Paul Wesley star in the CW’s romance-infused vampire soap opera.
WARNING: If you have yet to watch Thursday’s season finale of The Vampire Diaries, avert your eyes now. Everyone else, you may proceed….
After an eventful year full of hybrids, Originals, witches and lots of longing looks, The Vampire Diaries closed out its third season with some defining moments. Among the big reveals: Elena chose Stefan over Damon, Alaric was killed (for reals this time) and Elena might’ve been turned! So lets discuss the episodes “Holy crap, did they just do that?!” moments!
RELATED | Season Finale Spoilers: Scoop on 54 Big Finishes!
MATT AND JEREMY TRICK ELENA | While not as big of a shocker as some of the other things that went down, Matt and Jeremys scheme to get Elena out of Dodge was pretty surprising for two reasons: 1) How come no one attempted it before? With no parents or guardians left to talk some sense into her, it was nice to see Elenas only remaining human forces try to take a stance against the craziness that has become her life. And 2), it required Matt to poison Elenas drink in order to get her on the road! “Sorry, I over-honeyed to cover up the taste of poison. I suck at tea,” he said.
KLAUS DIESAND TAKES OVER TYLER! | While Matt tried to take away Elena, Jeremy fed Alaric the whereabouts to Klaus hiding place. Despite running into Damon and Rebekah, the vampire vampire slayer was able to put his magical stake in Klaus and supposedly finish him off. Everyone immediately began to freak out that they were going to die, but Stefan and Damon werent experiencing any symptoms. Was Klaus a big, fat liar when he said he turned their bloodline? Tyler, however, appeared to be turning inside out with pain as he ordered Caroline to leave. But – twist alert! – he didnt die because Klaus had taken temporary residence inside Tylers body, thanks to Bonnies magic mojo! While the spell and Klaus “resurrection” possibly saved all of Elenas friends from dying, it also means Klaus isnt truly done messing with them. And better yet, hes now got what he wanted: Caroline, who is none the wiser that her boyfriend is being inhabited by the Original!
RELATED | The CW Renews Supernatural, Vampire Diaries and
ELENA MAKES HER CHOICE | And it is Stefan! After learning that both brothers might die and that they were in different places, Elena was forced to make the difficult decision. “I can keep driving to [Damon] or I can turn around and go back to Stefan,” Matt told her. So she called up the elder Salvatore to confess her feelings. Perhaps it was the nostalgia that came with the flashbacks of yesteryear, but Elena couldnt say goodbye to her love for Stefan. “No matter what I feel for you, I never un-fell for him,” she told Damon. “I cant think about forever. I can only think about right now, which is why I have to let you go. Maybe if you and I had met first.” Well, it turns out – Big Twist Alert No. 2! – they had! Before the car accident ever happened, Damon and Elena had a brief, loaded moment in the middle of the street, talking of love and what she wants from her life. “I want you to get everything youre looking for, he told her as he erased her memories.
ELENAS DEATH AND REBIRTH | The once-mighty slayer Alaric crumbled right in his old pal Damons arms, which meant one thing: In order to kill Alaric, Rebekah had planted herself in the road and forced Matt and Elenas car to dive off the bridge. As old Alarics ghost visited Jeremy, it dawned on him that Elena was dead. That wasnt a bump on the head as she had gotten earlier; she had experienced a cerebral hemorrhage. But when Meredith had treated her, she helped her healing process along with some vampire blood, which means – Big Twist Alert No. 3 – Elena might be a vampire now! And with that, we were left with the final image of the season: Elena gasping back to life. Besides the obvious day-to-day implications of her being turned, the change also means big things for Damon and Elena. Now, all his compulsion on her will wear off and shell remember everything, including meeting him first and his “I love you” in Season 2. Plus, were guessing vampire Elenas heightened emotions might lead to some Damon cravings.
Vampire Diaries fans, what did you think of the shows bold twist? Are you excited for vampy Elena? Are you sad to see Alaric go? And should we be worried about Caroline and Tylers relationship?
TAGS: The CW, The Vampire Diaries
GET MORE: Finales, Recaps
'Vampire Diaries' recap: Season 3 finale, 'The Departed'
By By Lindsey McPherson
May 11, at AM
Elena is a vampire. Finally.
Well technically Elena is not a vampire until she chooses to feed and complete the transition, but we'll have to wait until next season to confirm that's what will happen. Though we all know it will be.
So even though this is the season finale cliffhanger, it's not really a shock. Honestly, you all had to expect Elena would turn one day. I sure did.
So in the final episode we see flashbacks of Elena in sophomore year, when her parents were alive and she was with Matt. She gets in a fight with Matt at a bonfire and her parents come to pick her up. That's the night they get in the car accident. This flashback is important to the end of the episode, but I'll come back to it later.
The episode starts in a flashback, a dream from which Elena wakes up in the hospital. Meredith tells Jeremy it's just a concussion but Jeremy calls Stefan and Damon anyway, who get mad she's in the hospital because they feel the remaining originals (Rebekah, Kol, Elijah) will be trying to kill her to kill Alaric.
Elijah shows up to Elena's house and she makes a deal with him to give him Klaus' body so long as he and his siblings don't harm her.
Jeremy, who was plotting with Matt to get everyone else out of the house so Matt could take Elena out of town, tries to lead Alaric into a trap. But Alaric has other sources, and ends up at the storage facility where Damon had Klaus' body.
Alaric stakes Klaus' body with the magically reinforced white oak stake, leaving everyone to believe Klaus died.
Thus, everyone gets all worried they are going to die too because Klaus told Damon and Stefan he created their bloodline. Matt, who has driven Elena a little bit out of town says he can keep driving her to Damon or turn back and bring her to Stefan.
She calls Damon and tells him she's going back, not just for Stefan but Caroline and Tyler. Damon asks if it was just between him and Stefan, who would get the goodbye.
Elena tells him: "I love him Damon. He came into my life at a time when I needed someone and I fell for him instantly. No matter what I feel for you, I never unfell for him."
In giving Damon the 'I'm sorry I didn't choose you' speech, Elena says maybe if she had met him first ? Turns out Damon (who has his own flashback) actually did meet Elena before Stefan, but he compelled her to forget.
Caroline, meanwhile, rushes to Tyler, whom we know is of Klaus' bloodline. They kiss, embrace, then Tyler tells her to leave; he doesn't want her to watch him die. Caroline resists so Tyler starts to turn in to a werewolf and she runs.
Rebekah and Elijah are talking, amazed that Stefan, Damon and Caroline are alive. They said they weren't the ones, nor was Kol, to create their bloodline; they were sure it was Klaus.
And that's possibly still true. Klaus is still alive. Bonnie did a spell that has him living in Tyler's body. It's unclear what this means for Tyler, but I assume he's still alive somehow too because Bonnie wouldn't knowingly kill him. Bonnie said she saved Klaus to save her friends and her mom.
So finally to the "epic" ending. Since she believes Klaus is dead, Rebekah tells Stefan that the deal is off; she's tired of running. Rebekah wants to kill Elena so Alaric dies, so she stands in front of Matt's car as he's driving Elena back into town. He swerves and the car goes over the bridge into the water, the same accident that played out with Elena's parents.
The show switches back and forth to the flashback of Elena's accident with her parents and her preset accident with Matt. When Stefan comes to the rescue in the flashback, Elena's dad, who is still conscious, motions to the backseat, and Stefan saves Elena. When Stefan comes to the rescue in the present, Elena motions to Matt, Stefan resists, but Elena is insistent and Stefan saves Matt.
What?!?!?! There's no way that Stefan would save Matt over Elena. I don't care how pissed she would be; Stefan would ultimately choose to save her life.
But whatever, it doesn't matter. We all know Elena can't die; she's the main character of this show. So the only option left was for her to become a vampire (turns out Meredith was lying about Elena's condition to save Jeremy the pain; she was actually bleeding from the brain, so Meredith had given her vampire's blood earlier in the episode to save her life). And it's pretty brilliant because since Elena is technically dead as a vampire, Alaric still dies.
Overall, nothing too shocking. But still major game changers in the series. Hopefully it gets better next season because I started to lose interest this season.
Other highlights from tonight's episode:
Damon to Alaric: "I see you're still pissed. I take it goldilocks gave you the slip."
Best Words Used to Stick it to Someone:
Alaric to Damon: "Our friendship was part of the problem. It's what kept me weak. It's also why it took so long for the real me to break through. And now I'm going to break you."
Elena says to Matt about Stefan: "That's what love should be. You should love the person that makes you glad that you're alive."
Caroline tells Tyler: "I will go anywhere with you. If we have to spend the rest of our lives running, I will run with you."
Best Quote to Summarize the Series:
Damon says to Stefan: "Our life is one big proverbial coin toss."
The Vampire Diaries: Season 3
Air Date: September 15,
Air Date: May 10,
Air Date: May 3,
Air Date: April 26,
Air Date: April 19,
Air Date: March 29,
Air Date: March 22,
Air Date: March 15,
Air Date: February 16,
Air Date: February 9,
Air Date: February 2,
Air Date: January 19,
Air Date: January 12,
Air Date: January 5,
Air Date: November 10,
Air Date: November 3,
Air Date: October 27,
Air Date: October 20,
Air Date: October 13,
Air Date: October 6,
Air Date: September 29,
Air Date: September 22,
Air Date: September 15,
3 sison vampire diaries
Characters died and came back to life all the time in The Vampire Diaries. Thats what happens when youre dealing with the undead. Take Klaus Mikaelson: he and his siblings couldnt be killed for good by a regular stake. It would take the White Oak Stake to take them out forever.
Klaus seemingly met that end in The Vampire Diaries Season 3, but he lived to see another day thanks to Bonnie Bennetts magic. Creator Julie Plec revealed her original plan was for Klaus to stay dead, and why those plans changed.
Does Klaus die in Season 3?
There were two parts to Klaus death. The first was in The Vampire Diaries Season 3 Episode The second was in Season 3 Episode 22, the season finale. The Mystic Falls gang had spent all season trying to defeat the Original vampire/hybrid and finally appeared to have succeeded.
After he tries to kill Elena Gilbert, Tyler Lockwood and Damon Salvatore hold Klaus back as Stefal Salvatore clutches him by the heart. In the woods nearby, Bonnie is performing a spell that stops his heart. They succeed, and Klaus slowly dies. But no Original vampire is truly dead until the White Oak Stake pierces their bodies.
RELATED: Is ‘The Originals’ Leaving Netflix in ?
How does Klaus not die in Season 3?
Thats exactly what evil Alaric does in the season finale. He hunts Klaus body down, which has been chained and placed in a coffin. Damon stops Rebekah Mikaelson from saving him, allowing Alaric to kill Klaus for good. Or so they thought.
In a shocking twist, Bonnie saved Klaus by using a spell that lets him live on in Tylers body. Why the change of plan? Well, it was because Joseph Morgan was just that good.
RELATED: What Order Should You Watch ‘The Vampire Diaries,’ ‘The Originals,’ and ‘Legacies’ In?
Klaus wasnt killed off in The Vampire Diaries because his story was too interesting
The Vampire Diaries, The Originals, and Legacies creator told TV Line that it didnt feel right to kill Klaus just yet.
“I will tell you this — and I haven’t said this before: Our intention was to kill Klaus at the end of Season 3,” Plec said. “We created the character last year… and our intention was, that after a long, arduous year of trying to vanquish and defeat the villain, our heroes would prevail and he would be no more.
As she continued:
But when you have actors [like Joseph Morgan] who are that good, making such a distinct mark in the roles that they are playing, you have to let your storytelling evolve and wrap around that a little bit. We collectively decided around the middle of Season 3 that we weren’t done with Klaus—or Joseph. We also weren’t done with the Original family, because with the addition of Rebekah and Kol, there’s still a lot of story to tell.
The rest of her explanation made the case for The Originals to happen. She said:
Sometimes [as a writer] you kill a character because you don’t know what else you can do with them, and sometimes you kill them because their death will so powerfully impact your other characters. But if you’re killing a character who is doing a great job with tons and tons of story left in him, you’re making a mistake. We had to do a bit of an about-face in our storytelling, which is how we came up with the Tyler body swap [in the finale]. So, we got to kill Klaus, and then not!”
Morgan revealed ahead of The Originals series premiere in that the Mikaelson Ball scene in The Vampire Diaries Season 3 Episode 14 is where the idea for The Originals came from. Plec seemed to be keeping her cards close to her chest in this interview in order to keep the spinoff a secret.
The Originals series premiere aired on Oct. 13, , just after the season 5 premiere of The Vampire Diaries.
The Vampire Diaries (season 3)
Season of television series
The Vampire Diaries, an American supernaturaldrama, was officially renewed for a third season by The CW on April 26, , that aired from September 15, , to May 10, The third season consisted of 22 episodes and focused on the story of Klaus' origin, his relation with his family and reveal more about the original family. The third season opened to generally positive reviews. The season takes a gap from the last season and begins with Elena Gilbert's 18th birthday with all series regulars returning with the exception of Sara Canning whose character Jenna Sommers was killed off in the previous season. Joseph Morgan's character Klaus became a series regular instead of returning as a recurring character.
See also: List of The Vampire Diaries characters
See also: List of The Vampire Diaries episodes
On April 26, , The CW officially renewed The Vampire Diaries for a third season. On May 19, , with the reveal of The CW's schedule, it was announced the series would stay on Thursday's at pm Eastern/ pm Central as a lead-in to The Secret Circle which is also produced by Kevin Williamson. Kevin Williamson, Julie Plec, Leslie Morgenstein and Bob Levy are executive producers for the series.
The third season premiered on Thursday, September 15, 
The series stars Nina Dobrev as Elena Gilbert and Katherine Pierce, Paul Wesley as Stefan Salvatore, Ian Somerhalder as Damon Salvatore, Steven R. McQueen as Jeremy Gilbert, Kat Graham as Bonnie Bennett, Candice Accola as Caroline Forbes, Zach Roerig as Matt Donovan, Michael Trevino as Tyler Lockwood, Matt Davis as Alaric Saltzman and Joseph Morgan as Klaus.
7th Heaven's David Gallagher was cast as werewolf Ray Sutton who has a run-in with Klaus in Tennessee. Australian actress, Claire Holt has been cast as Rebekah the sister of Klaus and Elijah, a beautiful vampire who had the pleasure of Stefan's company back in the early days when he was feasting on human blood.Sebastian Roché has also been cast as Mikael a vampire hunter, who is more specifically after his son Klaus. He feeds on vampires and is hunting Klaus. It is later revealed that he is the father of the Originals and Klaus's stepfather. When his plan to kill Klaus backfires, Mikael is killed by Klaus instead. Heroes star Jack Coleman was cast as Bill, a former resident of Mystic Falls and the father of resident vampire Caroline, who first believes his daughter has become a monster, but later accepts her.
Alice Evans joined the cast as the original witch Esther, Klaus' mother. She was first seen in a flashback in episode eight.Daniel Gillies will also return first appearing in a flashback during episode eight as Klaus' brother, Elijah.Persia White has been cast as Bonnie's mother, Abby Bennett. On November 10, , it was announced that Paul Wesley's wife Torrey DeVitto was cast as Meredith Fell (based on Meredith Sulez from the source novel), a young doctor who is fascinated by Alaric, when she notices how quickly he recovers from an injury. She uses vampire blood to cure people and starts dating Alaric. On November 16, , it was announced that Robert Ri'chard was cast as Jamie a new love interest for resident witch Bonnie. On November 22, , it was announced that Daniel Newman was cast as Daniel Warren, appearing in one episode. Australian actor Nathaniel Buzolic has been cast to play Klaus and Elijah's brother Kol and English actor Caspar Zafer has been cast as their other brother Finn. On January 13, , it was announced that Cassidy Freeman was cast as Sage. On March 31, , Sara Canning was confirmed to return as Jenna Sommers in a flashback in the last episode of the season, "The Departed". On April 9, , Jason MacDonald and Erin Beute were confirmed as Elena's parents, will appear in a flashback in the last episode of the season.Lauren Cohan re-appeared in the episode 'Heart of Darkness,' as ghost Rose, to contact Jeremy and find Mary, who turned Rose into a vampire.
Season three begins in the aftermath of Jenna's death and the ceremony which lead the creation of Klaus being the first hybrid. This has heavily affected Alaric, Elena, and Jeremy. Stefan is on a ripper binge where he can not control his urges for human blood, and he continues to become a darker character. In trying to help Stefan, Elena and Damon spend time together and they begin to realize that they have feelings for each other. They both feel guilt over this and do not speak about it, but it is a silent truth between them.
Jeremy is still having trouble with his ghosts; they are trying to convey an important message to him. He and Bonnie are becoming more distant as the ghosts from his past are distracting him from his everyday life.
Klaus is intent on creating an army of hybrids (half-vampire, half-werewolf) that are sired to him. In the beginning of the season, Klaus enlists Stefan to help him but Stefan eventually leaves. Alaric becomes a vampire hunter and targets the Originals.
The season also focuses on how the Original family of vampires came to be vampires by their father, Michael Mikaelson, asking Esther to make them stronger than their neighbors who were werewolves. It also delves deeper into the physiology of the family specifically the siblings and shows the reason behind their motto "Always and Forever" and how bonds formed between some of the siblings.
Based on 10 reviews, the 3rd season currently holds a 90% on Rotten Tomatoes with an average rating of out of The site's critics consensus reads, "A bloody delight, The Vampire Diaries continues its winning run with its trademark twists, shocking deaths, and consistent character development."
|No.||Title||Air date||18–49 rating (Live + SD)||Viewers|
|Total increase||Total viewers|
|3||"The End of the Affair"||September29,()|||
|6||"Smells Like Teen Spirit"||October20,()|
|10||"The New Deal"||January5,()|||
|12||"The Ties That Bind"||January19,()|||
|13||"Bringing Out the Dead"||February2,()|||
|15||"All My Children"||February16,()|||
|17||"Break on Through"||March22,()|||
|18||"The Murder of One"||March29,()|||
|19||"Heart of Darkness"||April19,()|||
|20||"Do Not Go Gentle"||April26,()|||
DVD and Blu-ray release
|The Vampire Diaries - The Complete Third Season|
|Set Details||Special Features|
Exclusive bonus features for Blu-ray Disc version:
|Region 1||Region 2||Region 4|
|September 11, ||August 20, ||October 3, |
- ^Gorman, Bill (September 16, ). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'The Vampire Diaries,' 'Wipeout' Adjusted Up; 'The Secret Circle' Quarter Hour Ratings". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on September 23, Retrieved September 17,
- ^Seidman, Robert (September 23, ). "Thursday Finals: 'Big Bang Theory,' 'The X Factor,' 'Parks & Recreation' and 'Whitney' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on September 25, Retrieved September 23,
- ^Gorman, Bill (September 30, ). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'X Factor,' 'The Big Bang Theory,' 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'The Office' & 'The Secret Circle,' 'Mentalist' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on July 21, Retrieved October 1,
- ^Seidman, Robert (October 7, ). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'X Factor,' 'The Big Bang Theory,' 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'The Office,' 'Person of Interest,' 'Parks & Rec' Adjusted Up; 'Private Practice' Down". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on October 8, Retrieved October 8,
- ^Gorman, Bill (October 14, ). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Big Bang Theory,' 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'Office,' 'Person Of Interest,' 'X Factor' Adjusted Up, 'Private Practice' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on October 17, Retrieved October 15,
- ^Seidman, Robert (October 21, ). "Thursday Final Ratings: World Series + 'Big Bang,' 'Grey's,' 'Vampire Diaries' Adjusted Up; 'Rules,' 'Private Practice' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on October 22, Retrieved October 21,
- ^Seidman, Robert (October 28, ). "TThursday Final Ratings: World Series Game 6 Finals + 'Big Bang,' 'Vampire Diaries,' 'Office,' 'Person,' Adjusted Up; 'Rules,' 'Secret Circle,' 'Whitney,' 'Prime Suspect' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on October 29, Retrieved October 28,
- ^Seidman, Robert (November 4, ). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Big Bang Theory,' 'The X Factor,' 'Parks & Recreation,' 'The Office,' 'Vampire Diaries,' 'Grey's Anatomy' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on November 6, Retrieved November 5,
- ^Seidman, Robert (November 11, ). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Big Bang Theory,' 'Grey's,' 'Prime Suspect' Adjusted Up; 'Bones,' 'Rules,' 'Private Practice' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on November 13, Retrieved November 12,
- ^Gorman, Bill (January 6, ). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'The Vampire Diaries' Adjusted Up; 'Wipeout,' 'Private Practice' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on January 9, Retrieved January 7,
- ^Seidman, Robert (January 13, ). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Big Bang Theory' Adjusted Up; 'Private Practice' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on January 15, Retrieved January 14,
- ^Gorman, Bill (January 20, ). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Big Bang Theory' Tops 'American Idol' 1st Half Hour; 'Office,' 'Mentalist,' 'Grey's' Adj. Up; 'Person,' 'Rob,' 'Parks' Adj. Down". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on January 23, Retrieved January 21,
- ^Gorman, Bill (February 3, ). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'American Idol,' 'Big Bang Theory,' 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'Office,' 'Mentalist' Adjusted Up; 'Rob' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on February 5, Retrieved February 3,
- ^Seidman, Robert (February 10, ). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'The Big Bang Theory,' 'American Idol,' 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'The Mentalist,' 'Vampire Diaries' Adjusted Up; 'Rob,' 'Private Practice,' 'The Finder,' 'Up All Night' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on February 13, Retrieved February 11,
- ^Gorman, Bill (February 17, ). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'American Idol,' 'Vampire Diaries,' 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'Big Bang Theory,' '30 Rock,' 'Office' Adjusted Up; 'Person Of Interest,' 'Mentalist,' 'Secret Circle' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on February 20, Retrieved February 18,
- ^Kondolojy, Amanda (March 16, ). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'American Idol', 'The Office', 'Missing' Adjusted Up, 'Private Practice' Adjusted Down + NCAA Game Ratings". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on March 18, Retrieved March 17,
- ^Seidman, Robert (March 23, ). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'American Idol,' 'Touch,' '30 Rock,' 'Up All Night' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on March 25, Retrieved March 23,
- ^March 30, "Thursday Final Ratings: 'American Idol',"The Big Bang Theory', 'Missing' and 'Vampire Diaries' Adjusted Up, 'Rules' and 'Touch' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on April 1, Retrieved March 31,
- ^Kondolojy, Amanda (April 20, ). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'American Idol', 'Grey's Anatomy', 'Awake' & 'Missing' Adjusted Up; 'Scandal' & 'Parks and Recreation' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on April 23, Retrieved April 20,
- ^Kondolojy, Amanda (April 27, ). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Idol', 'Big Bang Theory', 'Grey's', 'The Vampire Diaries', 'Mentalist' & 'Missing' Adjusted Up; 'Scandal' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on April 30, Retrieved April 27,
- ^Kondolojy, Amanda (May 4, ). "Thursday Final Ratings:'The Big Bang Theory', 'American Idol', 'Vampire Diaries', 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'Mentalist', Adjusted Up; 'Secret Circle','Scandal' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on May 7, Retrieved May 4,
- ^Kondolojy, Amanda (May 11, ). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Big Bang Theory', 'Idol', 'Vampire Diaries', 'Office', 'Secret Circle', 'Grey's' Adjusted Up; 'Touch', 'Scandal' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on May 13, Retrieved May 11,
- ^Gorman, Bill (April 26, ). ""The Vampire Diaries," "Gossip Girl," "," "Supernatural" & "America's Next Top Model" Renewed By The CW". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on April 30, Retrieved May 24,
- ^Matt Webb Mitovich (May 19, ). "The CW's Fall Schedule: Sarah Michelle Gellar Back on Tuesdays, Nikita Makes Move". TVLine.com. Retrieved May 24,
- ^"THE CW ANNOUNCES SCHEDULE". The CW (official website). May 19, Archived from the original on May 29, Retrieved May 24,
- ^Seidman, Robert (June 20, ). "The CW Network Announces Fall Premiere Dates". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on June 22, Retrieved June 20,
- ^"Spoilers: Joseph Morgan Becomes A Regular On The Vampire Diaries. - Vampire Diaries News - Soaps.com". Soaps.sheknows.com. May 19, Retrieved May 12,
- ^Matt Webb Mitovich (July 15, ). "Exclusive: Vampire Diaries Has 7th Heaven's David Gallagher Over for a Bite". Blog.zap2it.com. Retrieved May 12,
- ^"'The Vampire Diaries': Claire Holt cast as Stefan's vampire ex, Bex - From Inside the Box - Zap2it". Blog.zap2it.com. Archived from the original on December 31, Retrieved May 12,
- ^Franich, Darren (August 10, ). "'Vampire Diaries' casts Sebastian Roche as mysterious vampire hunter Inside TV EW.com". Insidetv.ew.com. Retrieved October 28,
- ^Ross, Dalton (August 10, ). "'Vampire Diaries' casts Sebastian Roche as mysterious vampire hunter Inside TV EW.com". Insidetv.ew.com. Retrieved May 12,
- ^"Exclusive: Heroes' Jack Coleman to Guest Star on The Vampire Diaries - Today's News: Our Take". TVGuide.com. July 23, Retrieved May 12,
- ^"'The Vampire Diaries': Original mother cast! Alice Evans as Klaus's mom - From Inside the Box - Zap2it". Blog.zap2it.com. October 6, Retrieved May 12,
- ^"'The Vampire Diaries': Daniel Gillies returns as Elijah Blood Falls the-vampirediaries.com". the vampire diaries. Retrieved May 12,
- ^"Persia White Joins Cast Of "Vampire Diaries" Shadow and Act". Blogs.indiewire.com. Retrieved May 12,
- ^"'The Vampire Diaries': 'Pretty Little Liars'' Torrey DeVitto Joins Cast as Recurring Character (Exclusive)". Hollywood Reporter. November 9, Retrieved May 12,
- ^"Robert Ri'chard Joins the Cast". Vampire Diaries Guide. November 16, Retrieved May 12,
- ^Jenny McGrath. "The Vampire Diaries Brings Paul Newman's Grandson to Mystic Falls - The Vampire Diaries". Wetpaint.com. Retrieved May 12,
- ^ abJenny McGrath. "Vampire Diaries Casts Caspar Zafer and Nathaniel Buzolic as Klaus' Brothers Finn and Kol - The Vampire Diaries". Wetpaint.com. Retrieved May 12,
- ^Woman, The (January 13, ). "Cassidy Freeman Goes from The Playboy Club to The Vampire Diaries Horror Movie, DVD, & Book Reviews, News, Interviews at Dread Central". Dreadcentral.com. Retrieved May 12,
- ^"'The Vampire Diaries': Sara Canning returns as Aunt Jenna Sommers - From Inside the Box - Zap2it". Blog.zap2it.com. March 27, Retrieved May 12,
- ^"The Vampire Diaries Casts Elena's Parents". TV Fanatic. April 9, Retrieved May 12,
- ^"The Vampire Diaries: Season 3 ()". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved April 17,
- ^"live7-dvr-ratings-modern-family-tops-absolute-gains-supernatural-tops-gains-in-seasons-premiere-week". TV by the Numbers. October 10, Archived from the original on October 11, Retrieved May 15,
- ^"Live+7 DVR Ratings: 'Modern Family' Tops Absolute Gains, 'Fringe' Tops% Gains In Week #2". TV by the Numbers. October 17, Archived from the original on October 19, Retrieved May 16,
- ^"Live+7 DVR Ratings: 'Modern Family' Tops Absolute Gains, 'The Secret Circle' Tops% Gains In Week 3". TV by the Numbers. October 24, Archived from the original on October 26, Retrieved May 15,
- ^"Live+7 DVR Ratings: 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'Big Bang Theory' Top Absolute Gains, 'Supernatural' Tops% Gains In Week 6". TV by the Numbers. November 14, Archived from the original on July 16, Retrieved May 15,
- ^"Live+7 DVR Ratings: 'Modern Family' Tops Absolute Gains, 'House' Tops% Gains In Week 7". TV by the Numbers. November 21, Archived from the original on November 23, Retrieved May 15,
- ^"Live+7 DVR Ratings: 'Modern Family' Tops Absolute Gains; 'Pan Am' Tops% Gains in Week 16". TV by the Numbers. January 23, Archived from the original on January 27, Retrieved May 15,
- ^"Live+7 DVR Ratings: 'Modern Family' Tops Absolute Gains; 'Grimm' Tops% Gains in Week 17". TV by the Numbers. January 30, Archived from the original on January 31, Retrieved May 15,
- ^"Live+7 DVR Ratings: 'Modern Family' Tops Absolute Gains; 'Fringe' Tops% Gains in Week 18". TV by the Numbers. February 6, Archived from the original on February 8, Retrieved May 15,
- ^"Live+7 DVR Ratings: 'Glee' Tops Absolute Gains; 'Grimm' Tops% Gains in Week 20". TV by the Numbers. February 20, Archived from the original on November 20, Retrieved May 16,
- ^"Live+7 DVR Ratings: 'Modern Family' Tops Absolute Ratings Gains; 'Pan Am' Tops% Gains in Week 21". February 27, Archived from the original on June 25, Retrieved May 16,
- ^"LLive+7 DVR Ratings: 'Modern Family' Tops Absolute Ratings Gains; 'Fringe' Tops% Gains in Week 22". March 5, Archived from the original on March 7, Retrieved May 16,
- ^"Live+7 DVR Ratings: "Modern Family' Tops Absolute Ratings Gain; 'Nikita' & 'Ringer' Top% Gains in Week 26". TV by the Numbers. April 2, Archived from the original on April 6, Retrieved May 15,
- ^"Live+7 DVR Ratings: 'New Girl' Tops Absolute Ratings Gain, 'Fringe' and 'The Firm' Top% Gains, 'Castle' Tops Total Viewer Gains in Week 27". TV by the Numbers. April 9, Archived from the original on April 11, Retrieved May 15,
- ^"Live+7 DVRRatings: 'The Big Bang Theory' Tops Absolute Ratings Gain, 'The Firm' Tops% Gains, 'The Mentalist' Tops Total Viewer Gains in Week 28". TV by the Numbers. May 15, Archived from the original on April 19, Retrieved April 16,
- ^"Live+7 DVR Ratings: 'Modern Family' Tops Absolute Ratings & Total Viewer Gains, 'Firm' Tops% Gains in Week 31". TV by the Numbers. May 7, Archived from the original on May 10, Retrieved May 15,
- ^"Live+7 DVR Ratings: 'Big Bang Theory' Tops Absolute Ratings, 'Fringe' Tops% Gains, 'The Mentalist' Tops Total Viewer Gains in Week ". TV by the Numbers. May 14, Archived from the original on May 16, Retrieved May 16,
- ^"Live+7 DVR Ratings: 'Modern Family' Leads Ratings and Viewership Gains, 'The Secret Circle' Tops Percentage Increases". TV by the Numbers. May 21, Archived from the original on May 25, Retrieved September 30,
- ^"Live+7 DVR Ratings: 'Modern Family' Again Leads Ratings and Viewerrship Gains,'Grimm' Ranks Number One In Percentage Increases". TV by the Numbers. May 29, Archived from the original on June 1, Retrieved September 30,
- ^Lacey, Gord (June 15, ). "The Vampire Diaries - Sink Your Teeth into the Season 3 Press Release". TV Shows on DVD. Archived from the original on June 17, Retrieved June 16,
- ^"Amazon UK Season 3". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved March 3,
- ^"Vampire Diaries: Season 3". Ezy DVD. Archived from the original on March 2, Retrieved February 27,
- Backyard mural ideas
- 2017 corvette automatic transmission
- Round fitted plastic table covers
- Vitamin b12 swanson
- Fast eddy ribs
- Jhope dress
But Alaric is still hanging around, and still on a mission to wipe out the vampire race, he promptly stakes Klaus in the heart. Presumably, this means that our entire cast would die along with him, so after some awkward goodbye phone-calls (Im not surprised Elenas phone ran out of steam part way through), Stefan, Damon and Caroline just sit tight, desperately hoping that Klaus was lying when he claimed to be the head of their bloodline. One character given no such grace was Tyler, however, and he and Caroline endure an excruciating farewell before he dismisses her from his death scene.
But its revealed during the final moments that Tyler (or at least his body) is actually alive and well, explaining his urgency when trying to send Caroline away. Bonnie, who Damon unwisely left alone with Klaus body earlier in the episode, has actually sacrificed Tyler for the lives of her friends and family, swapping their bodies just in time for kick-off. Does this mean Tyler is dead? Klaus, with Tylers essence inside of him, was staked, but the fact that the original vampire is alive and well elsewhere means that none of the other characters needed to be sacrificed. Caroline, now on the run from the pitch-fork carrying townsfolk rallied by Alaric (yes, really), has no idea, but should probably be pleased that her two love interests have now been combined.
But these events leave Bonnie in a very precarious position. Have the writers finally figured out how much their audience hate her? Bonnie becoming next seasons big bad might be a little bit of wishful thinking, but wouldnt making her a villain alleviate the hatred of her character somewhat? Shes been getting darker and darker this year, resenting her friends more and more, and switching to the dark side would actually make a lot of sense for her character. And what would the rest of the group do without Bonnie to save the day with a spell? What if they were actually protecting themselves from their former witch-for-hire?
I wasnt sure what to make of Matt in this episode, either, as hes more present this week than he has been in years (maybe ever?). Though we were told Elena would be choosing between Damon and Stefan before the season end, I couldnt have been the only one thinking that a relationship with loyal, supportive Matt would be quite healthy at this junction. The flashbacks revealed how troubled their former dating life had really been, but present day Matt was actually the most hell-bent on saving his friend, when everyone else had all but abandoned her while they tried to figure out their own situations.
But the big story of the week, the season, and the whole show, has been the love triangle. Always a bit more complicated than the similar Twilight love story, her choice is similarly between the supportive boyfriend and the dangerous, yet passionate, bad-boy. Shes been stringing both along for years, and fans are almost equally split between the two boys. But after all that, the decision is a little underwhelming, and doesnt really feel clean-cut. Her reasons for choosing Stefan are very wishy-washy, almost citing obligation and a sense of safety for her choice. She never actually turns down Damon, either, telling him that, if only they had met first, she might love him more.
While that might sound like a ludicrous argument, its actually a very well-placed line that would go on to dangle a carrot in front of Delena fans in time for next season. As Damon fights with Alaric hundreds of miles away from Mystic Falls, he passes out and remembers his first meeting with Elena, hours before Stefan saved her from the car wreck. Drawn to her, just like Stefan, by the striking resemblance to Katherine, they have a brief chat in which he tells her the kind of relationship she craves, all-consuming and full of danger, before compelling her forget the whole thing. She did meet Damon first, and that fact will certainly effect her decision next year.