Vorshlag 75mm Long Competition BMW Wheel Stud, M12-1.5
These screw-in wheel studs can be used on any car that uses an M12 wheel bolt from the factory - (most) BMWs, (some) MINI, and all Lotus cars, to name a few. These 75 mm length studs will work with up to 12mm hub-centric spacers, or no spacer at all. This catalog entry is for A SINGLE WHEEL STUD ONLY.
Why use wheel studs instead of wheel bolts? Several reasons:
- Wheel studs are required by many racing bodies - because they are a better, safer way to ensure proper wheel engagement.
- Wheel studs are safer than wheel bolts because you can SEE when the stud is engaging the lug nut completely - a longer wheel stud sticks through the lug nut. A wheel bolt? Its a mystery... only way to know if is engaging the wheel hub completely is to remove it and count the threads when installing
- These 75mm wheel studs allow the use of a variety of hub-centric wheel spacers (up to 12mm thick), or no spacers at all. Longer wheel bolts have to be tailor made to a custom length to each wheel spacer width.
- Wheel studs stay engaged into the hub for their entire life cycle. The repetitive installation and removal of wheel bolts can cause accelerated wear on the threaded holes on the (expensive replace) wheel hubs.
- Installing wheels using wheel studs is considerably easier than when using wheel bolts, as the studs will locate the wheel while the nuts are being fastened.
- Our Competition wheel studs have an unthreaded bullet nose that acts as a "speed start", allowing faster lug nut installation and faster pit stops.
Our high quality Italian made M12-1.5 thread 60° seat lug nuts are sold separately. Wheel stud installation kits are sold separately (Red Thread locker + Anti-Seize + 5.5mm Allen wrench for installation). The Vorshlag Competition Studs are black zinc phosphate plated for corrosion protection and long service life.
Specifics on the Vorshlag Competition 75mm Wheel Stud:
- Proudly Made in the USA. Built to Vorshlag material/heat treat specifications and Vorshlag drawings by an American manufacturer that specializes in high end fasteners.
- Material: 30MnB3
- Heat Treatment: Hardened and tempered to 10.9 class
- Tensile Strength: 150,000 psi (this is by design - a higher tensile strenth is more brittle and less ductile)
- Hardness HV: min 320, max 380
- Elongation after breakage: 9% min. (this is good - and why we use 150,000 psi material and heat treatment)
- Max Torque for Lug Nuts: 180Nm (132 lb-ft) - recommended torque on BMW lug nuts (NOT the stud during install) using anti-seize is 80 lb-ft
- Coating: black zinc phosphate plating to 12 micron thickness, min.
- Available in two lengths: 75mm and 90 mm long.
- Ends have special "quick start" rounded nose with 10mm unthreaded section. Allows the quick starting of lug nuts onto studs.
- Broached female 5.5mm hex, for ease of installation (using 5.5mm or 7/32" Allen wrench, sold separately).
- Install using Red Threadlocker (Loctite 262 or equivalent) to secure the studs to the wheel hub.
- Studs are made with M12x1.5 threads. M12x1.5 Lug Nuts are also available in your choice of OEM black or chrome.
- Install studs into hubs with Loctite and torque until they bottom out onto the shoulder. Do not torque into hubs beyond 30 lb-ft. Torque lugs onto the studs with 80 lb-ft, using a light coating of anti-seize lubricant on the stud's threads.
Note: READ AND FOLLOW INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS. These can be found on the vorshlag.com page labeled "Instructions", which is linked at the top of every page within our website. A full picture gallery with detailed installation instructions can also be found here.
TweetSharePin ItAddEmailSours: https://vorshlag-store.com/products/vorshlag-17mm-hex-m12-1-5-bmw-black-lug-nut
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Somerville, Ma
Originally Posted by Maynard
Used to be that these were either required, or considered a necessity on track - IIRC, you needed as much thread showing as the bolt diameter. They make it much easier if you are going to be swapping wheels at the track, but probably cosmetic or overkill on the street. It is essential to either use studs, or get longer bolts if you run spacers. Only seen a car lose a wheel once, but that was enough.
I did it partially for looks, partially for convienience, and partially for strength. I cross threaded one of my lugs.
I re-tapped the hole straight, but I know the threads are slightly damaged. Now I will have higher strength steel holding the wheel on. That studs will also be thread locked in place so the stud will not back out due to damaged threads.
I torqued that bolt to 105 ft/lbs and it has held fine, it has never loosened or backed out either. I just wanted some more peace of mind with higher strength bolts.
Wheel studs vs bolts, what are the advantages?
Wheel studs vs. bolts
Most production vehicles have their wheels mounted one of two ways, studs or bolts. The majority of European manufacturers choose wheel installation with bolts while most American manufacturers choose studs. What are the advantages of each and should you convert your BMW to a stud style setup? We will answer these questions and more below.
What are the advantages of wheel studs?
Studs protruding from the hub offer an easy way to align the wheel when mounting. BMW provides a mounting pin to help locate wheels on reinstallation to help with this issue, see our post on this HERE.
Longer studs allow for the use of different width spacers without needed to change stud length. However, if using bolts, bolt length would have to change to account for the width of the spacer to get proper thread engagement.
If mounting and dismounting wheels is a frequent operation for you (mostly for track use, swapping wheel / tire setup) then it is arguably safer to wear the interface between the stud and the nut rather than the bolt and hub. If you are changing wheels often, there is a higher risk of cross-threading. Make sure not to cross threading the bolt in the hub, the fix is much more difficult and expensive compared to stripping a nut over a stud, for instance.
Studs have more consistent torque when using nuts. The interface between the threads on nuts and studs is always the same thread amount. This allows consistent torque values for all studs.
Contrastly, when bolts are installed into the wheel hub, more torque is needed to overcome the friction between the bolt and the hub. In other words, as more bolt threads are engaged with the hub, more torque is required to insert the bolt. This can account for inconsistent stretching with a bolt setup over a stud. Over stretching of the bolt may end in fatigue and shearing of a bolt. Learn about the importance of proper torque values and stretching of bolts on our post HERE.
What are the advantages of bolts?
It is cheaper for manufacturers to use a bolt setup as OEMs just need a threaded hub and bolt, two parts as opposed to a three-part stud application; the hub, stud, and nut. The fewer parts the cheaper the setup.
Usually a bolt system is lighter than a stud application since fewer parts are involved. Less rotating mass allows for quicker acceleration and shorter braking distances, however, the noticeability is likely negligible.
Should I convert from factory bolts to wheel studs?
This all depends on your needs. If you track your car and/or take your wheels off frequently, then yes; we would suggest a stud conversion kit. If you really like the aggressive look of studs or frequently change spacer widths and do not want to keep changing bolt length then a stud conversion kit would be great for you. If you do not fit any of these needs than the factory bolt system will be sufficient.
How do I convert a BMW bolt system to a stud system?
Buy a stud conversion kit. Make sure you order the proper thread pitch needed to fit in your hub. Thread pitch is the distance between threads in millimeters for metric applications. Ordering the wrong thread pitch will not allow the studs to thread into the hub. Many of the websites that sell this kit will provide this information for you. Make sure you get the proper length stud to allow for proper thread engagement of the nut. If you have wheel spacers you will need longer studs to account for this added thickness. Make sure the nut thread pitch matches the thread pitch of the studs if making your own kit and buying the studs and bolts separate.
Where can I buy BMW stud conversion kits?
Check out our inventory of stud convertion kits: HERE
Where can I learn more BMW fun facts?
Learn more BMW fun facts by clicking HERE
This is a complete 20 piece Titanium Lug Bolt Set for all BMW E and F series including the new M4, BMW 7 series F01 / F02 (2009 model year and forward) 740/750/760/Alpina. Manufactured from aerospace grade 6AL4V Titanium, these titanium lug bolts will not corrode or rust and offer a significant weight savings on your BMW F series while giving a very sporty and aggressive look. Rolled threads for superior fatigue resistance. Available in natural 6AL4V Titanium color as shown. E Series standard bolts are M12x1.5x28 (28mm shank) and F Series is M14x1.25x28 (28mm shank). 60 degree conical base (also known as a cone or acorn base)
Extended length versions also available for those needed longer lug bolts for use with wheel spacers.
The following are the lug bolt sizes we currently stock and they will work on any car that needs this size in a cone base also known as a 60 degree conical base:
Fits the following F Series:
F01 5th-gen 7-series, 2008-
F02 5th-gen 7-series LWB, 2008-
F03 5th-gen 7-series armoured, 2008-
F10 6th-gen 5-series saloon, 2010-
F11 6th-gen 5-series Touring, 2010-
F12 3rd-gen 6-series convertible, 2011-
F13 3rd-gen 6-series coupe, 2011-
F15 3rd-gen X5 replacement, 2014-
F16 2nd-gen X6 replacement, 2014-
F20 2nd-gen 1-series five-door, 2011-
F21 2nd-gen 1-series three-door, 2011
F22 2nd-gen 1-series coupe (badged 2-series), 2013-
F23 2nd-gen 1-series cabriolet (badged 2-series), 2014-
F25 2nd-gen X3, 2011-
F30 6th-gen 3-series saloon, 2011-
F31 6th-gen 3-series Touring, 2012-
F32 3--series coupe replacement (badged 4-series), 2013-
F33 3-series convertible replacement (badged 4-series), 2014-
F34 3-series Gran Turismo, 2013-
F35 4-series four-door coupe, 2015-
F44 1--series Gran Turismo, 2014-
F45 1--series Touring, 2014-
F46 1-series City, 2015-
The E Series lug bolts will fit the following:
- M coupe 1998–2002 (first-generation M Coupe)
Studs bmw lug
Benefits of a Wheel Stud Conversion Kit
Try and find a BMW race car that hasn't converted to wheel studs yet with a stud conversion kit. They're stronger, safer, and improve pit stop times significantly.
For non race cars, stud conversions still make wheel installation and removal much easier as you no longer have to line up the holes in your wheels, spacers, and hubs before hand threading a single lug bolt through. Simply slide the wheel onto the studs, and let go. With lugs, an unsupported wheel will slip off the hub lip and fall onto the ground. With studs, there is enough length to float the wheel in place and in proper alignment. Sitting on the ground with your feet under the car, and supporting the wheel with your feet while you try and line everything up is a thing of the past.
Extended length wheel studs like these allow for a range of spacers to be used without any additional modification. You can easily use 3mm, 5mm, 10, and 12mm spacers with our 75mm studs. For 15mm, 18mm, 20mm, and 25mm spacers, our 90mm studs are required to allow for enough thread engagement. Either length kit can be used without spacers just as easily. When using lug bolts with spacers you are forced to purchase a different length lug for each width spacer as any spacer even 3mm thick is dangerous to use with the short thread OEM BMW lug hardware.. Why own a bucket full of lugs when a single set of studs can do it all?
By remaining installed, studs will put less wear on the threads of your hubs. They guarantee there is enough thread engagement, as you can see how many threads were engaged during install.
Wheel studs replace your OEM lug bolts by simply threading into your car's hub. Once installed they do not need to be removed when changing or removing wheels. Only the lug nuts are removed similar to many domestic and import vehicles.
Motorsport Hardware Bullet Nose Stud Conversion - BMW
Great for Track/Race applications!! Simple upgrade from the factory lug bolts. The performance you want with the quality and great looks that you expect from Motorsport Hardware.
Motorsport Hardware conversion kits are great for:
- People who change their wheels often. You don't have to keep rotating the wheel to find the lug bolt holes.
- Makes changing wheels faster and easier -Prevent you from cross threading your wheel hubs, an expensive fix compared to the cost of these stud conversions.
- If you cross thread these studs on the wheel side, just replace the stud
- Motorsport Hardware Stud conversions are stronger than OEM wheel lugs.
- Perfect for Track/Race applications!
- Certified by ISO/TS 16949 and ISO 9001 by TÜV
- Fast start nut installation
- 12×1.5 Thread (Common though BMW e-code chassis excluding E65, E83)
- Made in Europe
- OEM Style Black Zinc Finish
- Bullet Nose
- Allen Key insert for easy install
- 10.9 grade hardness
- Each kit comes complete for your vehicle (4-wheels)
Compatible with wheel spacers:
- 68mm studs will accept up to a 05mm spacer
- 75mm studs will accept up to a 12mm spacer
- 82mm studs will accept up to a 20mm spacer
- 90mm studs will accept up to a 25mm spacer
NOT SUITABLE FOR F-CODE CHASSIS. Use 14x1.25 instead
PLEASE CONFIRM FITMENT PRIOR TO PURCHASE.
11 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
STUD CONVERSION - BMW
Posted by Marchi on 8th Mar 2021
Fit & finish excellent. Already used with a set of track wheels/tires for easy on & off. Received via USPS which took longer than anticipated.
Posted by Kory on 5th Oct 2020
Recently picked up this stud conversion for my e46. These guys were helpful answering my question about my set up. Installing the kit is pretty straight forward. Really happy with the quality, style, and functionality this brings. Also, the ease of installing and uninstalling my wheels at the track just got even better. Definitely recommend.
Bullet Nose Studs
Posted by Richard on 8th Jul 2020
Quality is good and installation was easy
Bmw wheel stud kit
Posted by Gerardo pasin on 12th Dec 2019
Hassle free installation, great quality and very well packaged.
Should be everyones 1st mod to a BMW
Posted by Kevin on 18th Jul 2019
I can't believe I went this long without studs on my M3. The first time I was able to hang a wheel on the studs without stressing my back out was worth the entire price of the kit.
The only criticism I have is no instructions were included in the box. I had to poke around the MH website to find their instructions (it's under FAQ-GENERAL FYI).
awsome wheel stud kit
Posted by Craig on 29th Mar 2018
I really like this product. It’s was super easy to install and look really good on the car. It also makes removing and installing the wheels easier way in my opinion.
Posted by John swarbrooke on 30th Oct 2017
Product turned up on time quality excellent.
Posted by Devin K on 11th Apr 2017
These are very good quality and perfect for my 25mm wheel spacers !
Great studs - small 17mm nuts
Posted by David Proud on 21st Dec 2016
After breaking a stud on my M3 race care I replaced the entire car with this set.
I really like the smaller nut - allowing a narrower deep socket which has been much easier to use.
Would give 5 stars but only done 200 race kms so far.
You will also be interested:
- Vfw post 428
- Quick dams
- Senior living activities director salary
- Billet wallets
- Chinese lantern illustration
- Cneko chan artist chan
- Sgs petroleum services
- Milkchoco game
- Silent hill 3 god
- Lead star arms